Level 2 Certificate in the Principles and Practice for Pharmacy Support Staff
The Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificates in the Principles and Practice for Pharmacy Support Staff is for learners who are employed in the role of pharmacy support staff within a pharmacy setting. You must be currently working in Northern Ireland in a pharmacy environment as pharmacy support staff, contracted for a minimum of 21 hours or be due to start in such a position by course start date. This course meets the requirements for the education and training of pharmacy support staff as set out by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
Pharmacy Support Staff play a key role in supporting the work of pharmacy professionals, such as the Pharmacy Technician and Pharmacist, in providing safe and effective pharmacy services.
The actual work setting will determine the work activity that the Pharmacy Support Staff undertakes.
The course will be delivered through a combination of face to face teaching and online teaching (averaging 4 hrs per week).
It will be assessed by a combination of assignment work (knowledge base) and assessment in the workplace (skills base).
The learner will need to complete a total of 5 units. Four of these units are mandatory.
Mandatory Units (all 4 to be completed):
- Person-centred Care and Communication
- Principles of Health and Safety for Pharmacy Support Staff
- Effective Teamwork within Pharmacy Services
- Personal Development for Pharmacy Support Staff
Optional Units (one to be completed) will be chosen from the following options, depending on workplace:
- Dispensing and Supply of Prescribed Medicines and Medicinal Products
- Managing Pharmaceutical Stock
- Principles of Safe Preparation and Manufacturing of Medicines and Pharmaceutical Products
- Selling Over the Counter Medicines and Medicinal Products
You are working as Pharmacy Support Staff in any of these different settings, including (but not exclusively); registered pharmacies, community services, justice (the Prison Service), GP practices, dispensing doctors’ practices, care homes and clinical commissioning groups, hospitals, mental health and in the pharmaceutical industry.
The qualification gives learners the opportunity to:
• develop the fundamental technical skills and underpinning knowledge and understanding to perform their particular role safely and effectively.
• develop appropriate attitudes and behaviours that will support personal success in their job role and the long-term success of their organisation.
• develop a range of interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, to support progression to, and success in, further study and career advancement.
• achieve a nationally recognised Level 2 qualification, recognised by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
Learners who achieve the qualification, can progress to the Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Principles and Practice for Pharmacy Technicians, if they meet the entry requirements.
Please note: the entry requirements for L3 Pharmacy Services currently include a requirement for 4 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, including English, Maths and Science.
- To be currently working in a pharmacy environment in Northern Ireland as a pharmacy support staff or have secured a placement as a pharmacy support staff, by the start of the course.
- A minimum placement of at least 21 hours per week, and a registered pharmacy professional to act as a supervisor or mentor.
- 5 GCSEs (Grades D/3-G/1) including at least Grade D/3 in English and Maths (or an equivalency, such as Level 1 Essential skills).
For more information or help with this course send us an enquiry and a member of our team will get back in touch.
Sorry you cannot currently apply online for this course.
For more information or help with this course please complete an enquiry form.
If you have just completed your GCSEs, Further Education is most likely the option for you. FE covers qualifications from entry to higher level qualifications such as Awards, Certificates, Diplomas, NVQ, BTEC and Apprenticeships.Explore Further Education
Stay connected to SERC: Your guide to upcoming college events!