Level 2 Diploma in Professional Chef
The FDQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Chef Qualification (Northern Ireland) is designed for learners who wish to work as a chef in the catering and hospitality sector.
The FDQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Chef Qualification (Northern Ireland) may be delivered and assessed in the workplace or in a learning environment.
The qualification is suitable for learners who wish to achieve a stand-alone qualification and
• want to learn new skills and knowledge to enter the sector or
• are working in a chef/catering role/environment and wish to develop or refresh their skills and knowledge.
The qualification is designed to provide a broad range of hospitality and catering skills and knowledge that will benefit learners as they start or develop their career as a professional chef. The qualification is suitable both for those who will work in a catering business, or for those who will work in other types of organisations that employ chefs, such as hospitals or schools. The qualification units cover the preparation and cooking of ingredients such as meat and poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables, eggs, pasta and desserts – using many different cooking methods.
The qualification also covers hospitality teamwork plus the food safety and hygiene skills vital for success as a chef.
- Prepare and cook food by boiling poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- you are a student who wants to learn new skills and knowledge to enter the catering sector or
- you are working in a chef/catering role/environment and wish to develop or refresh your skills and knowledge.
The FDQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Chef Qualification (Northern Ireland) is designed to prepare learners for professional chef roles in the workplace.
Many learners are expected to progress into employment in junior chef roles, for example:
• in catering and hospitality businesses such as restaurants, catering service providers, cafes or hotels
• in organisations employing internal catering staff, such as schools and colleges, leisure centres, private companies, or health and social care settings. Although most learners are expected to progress to junior chef roles, the qualification offers opportunities for learners to develop some supervisory skills and knowledge, which may prepare them for a team leader role. FDQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Chef (Northern Ireland) Handbook v2.0 09.02.2021 Page 9 of 61 On completion of this qualification, learners may also consider progression to higher level qualifications or an apprenticeship such as a
• Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery
• Level 3 Award in Food Safety Supervision
• Level 2 or 3 Apprenticeship
For more information or help with this course send us an enquiry and a member of our team will get back in touch.
Sorry you cannot currently apply online for this course.
For more information or help with this course please complete an enquiry form.
If you have just completed your GCSEs, Further Education is most likely the option for you. FE covers qualifications from entry to higher level qualifications such as Awards, Certificates, Diplomas, NVQ, BTEC and Apprenticeships.Explore Further Education
Stay connected to SERC: Your guide to upcoming college events!