Level 2 Marine Pre-Cadetship (Engineering Pathway)
The Marine Pre-Cadetship is offered in the engineering pathway. This programme is intended for those eventually seeking an engineering career in the Maritime industry e.g. Merchant Navy, Cruise liners or Fishing Industry.
The programme will provide the knowledge and competencies required to be successful in securing a full cadetship. Learners will develop the variety of skills through visits, classroom learning and practical sessions. Learners will be encouraged to grow fully as individuals and develop excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
You will study a one year full time programme at SERC before potentially progressing onto the next level at South Shields Marine School, depending upon your programme performance.
During this programme you will complete an ETA Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Performing Engineering Operations which may include the following units:
- Working safely in an engineering environment
- Carrying out engineering activities efficiently & effectively
- Using & communicating technical information
- Preparing & using lathes for turning operations
- Preparing & using milling machines
- Producing sheet metal components and assemblies
- Preparing & using semi-automatic MIG, MAG & Flux-cored arc welding equipment
You will also complete a City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Engineering - Manufacturing Technology which may include the following units:
- Working in Engineering
- Principles of Engineering Technology
- Principles of Manufacturing Technology
- Machine Components using Turning Techniques
- Fabricating Sheet Metalwork
- Welding by MIG Process
In addition to these core qualifications you will be required to complete the following additional modules/courses:
- Maritime sector overview
- PSSR- Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities in the maritime industry
- PST- Personal Survival Techniques for the maritime industry
- DSD- Designated Security Duties
- EFA- Elementary First Aid
- Basic Fire Fighting
If you wish to progress to Level 3 Maritime programmes you will need to work towards completing GCSE Maths and English to grade B standard if not attained on entry.
For more information or help with this course send us an enquiry and a member of our team will get back in touch.
Sorry you cannot currently apply online for this course.
For more information or help with this course please complete an enquiry form.
If you have just completed your GCSEs, Further Education is most likely the option for you. FE covers qualifications from entry to higher level qualifications such as Awards, Certificates, Diplomas, NVQ, BTEC and Apprenticeships.Explore Further Education
Stay connected to SERC: Your guide to upcoming college events!