Level 3 National Extended Diploma Engineering - Mechatronics
This two-year full-time course, equivalent to 3 A levels meets the requirements for learners who wish to progress to employment or further study in engineering.
Modules studied in year 1 may include:
- Engineering Principles
- Delivery of Engineering Processes Safely as a Team
- Engineering Product Design and Manufacture
- Applied Commercial and Quality Principles in Engineering
- Manufacturing Secondary Machining Processes
- Electronic Measurement and Testing of Circuits
- Electronic Devices and Circuits
Units studies in year 2 include:
- Microcontroller Systems for Engineers
- A Specialist Engineering Project
- Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems
- Static Mechanical Principles in Practice
- Mechanical Measurement and Inspection
- Pneumatic and Hydraulic Systems
- Additive Manufacturing Processes
- Computer Aided Design in Engineering
In addition to the above units you will also work towards a Professional/ Personal Development qualification and will be involved in a range of activities, designed to improve employability within the Engineering sector.
There is also two weeks work experience in year 2 of the programme.
You will be required to complete Essential Skills ICT if you do not have a GCSE grade C.
You will attend college a minimum of 16.75 hours per week.
Assessment for this programme is carried out on a continuous basis using a combination of written assignments and practical assessments for 15 units. Engineering Principles and Engineering Product Design and Manufacture will require an external exam in year 1. In year 2 Microcontroller Systems for Engineers will be externally examined
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s at Grade C or above, must include English and Maths (B in Maths is preferred). 1 of the other GCSEs should be in a STEM subject area.
Or a Level 2 Diploma in Engineering (Merit) plus Level 2 Essential Skills in Numeracy and Literacy.
An interview is required before enrolling on the programme and there will be a short entry test on the day of enrolment to ensure that you are ready for the course.
For more information or help with this course send us an enquiry and a member of our team will get back in touch.
Sorry you cannot currently apply online for this course.
For more information or help with this course please complete an enquiry form.
You are viewing the 2023/24 version of this course, it is also available in the following years:View 2024/25 Course
If you have just completed your GCSEs, Further Education is most likely the option for you. FE covers qualifications from entry to higher level qualifications such as Awards, Certificates, Diplomas, NVQ, BTEC and Apprenticeships.Explore Further Education
Stay connected to SERC: Your guide to upcoming college events!