MLP New Entrants to Gas
A structured programme of guided learning designed to meet the requirements for new entrants the gas industry.
The Managed Learning Programme (MLP) is:
A recognised entry route to the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme (ACS) and subsequent registration with Gas Safe Register.
The MLP programme consists of both centre based guided learning and 'on the job' gas work experience, gained whilst under the supervision of a registered gas installer, acting as the candidates mentor.
The MLP programme is an entry route into the following industry sectors and SERC offers the DNGA3 - Domestic Natural Gas Appliances (Central Heating Boilers & Instantaneous Water Heaters) route.
Learning through a good mix of theory and practical activities the candidate will learn all aspects of the domestic natural gas systems.
The New Entrants Gas Course for Beginners includes training and assessment in the following areas:
- Introduction to plumbing, gas and heating theory and principles
- Health and Safety including safe use of tools, asbestos & legionella awareness, manual handling and fire safety precautions
- Pipework installation and practical skills
- Gas legislation, Building Regulations and British Standards
- Industry unsafe situations procedures
- Tightness testing of domestic natural gas installations
- Measuring and interpretation of gas pressures and the calculation of heat inputs
- Gas appliance functions and the operation of gas safety controls
- Principles of flueing, chimneys and combustion
- Safe isolation of electrical installations
- Energy Efficiency for Domestic heating
- Approved Prior Learning (APL) Programme for Domestic Natural Gas
- Water Regulations (WRAS), Hot Water Systems & Safety (inc Unvented hot water systems)
- ACS refresher training and assessment for Core Domestic Gas Safety (CCN1) and Gas fired boilers and water heaters (CENWAT)
For more information or help with this course send us an enquiry and a member of our team will get back in touch.
Business Services Course
Funding may be available for this course, please contact us on BusinessServices@serc.ac.uk to discuss if you are eligible. Additional sessions may be available for this course throughout the year. Please contact us to discuss a start date that would be suitable for you.
Sorry you cannot currently apply online for this course.
For more information or help with this course please complete an enquiry form.
If you have just completed your GCSEs, Further Education is most likely the option for you. FE covers qualifications from entry to higher level qualifications such as Awards, Certificates, Diplomas, NVQ, BTEC and Apprenticeships.Explore Further Education
Stay connected to SERC: Your guide to upcoming college events!