Pearson BTEC HNC in Art and Design (Arts Practice)
Contextual studies increase your knowledge and understanding of historical and contemporary art practices. You are taught academic skills and methods and learn to write analytically about art and related concepts. There is a strong emphasis on the creative development of the individual and their practice. It allows students to refine and hone both their practical and theoretical skills in a nurturing, supportive and creative environment. The experienced teaching team have strong industrial links across the creative arts in Northern Ireland.
The course is project driven and student focused offering an inter disciplinary programme across a series of 2D and 3D art practices, covering painting, print, sculpture, ceramic and digital art.
- Professional Development
- Contextual Studies
- Individual Project
- Techniques and Processes
Specialist Units will Include
- Media Practices
- Material Practices
- Communication in Art and Design
- Visual Narratives
Pearson BTEC HNC in Art and Design (Arts Practice) (Year 1)
Please select a campus from the list above to view the available sessions.
14 hours contact time to include practical classes, group work, lectures, seminars, visits, workshops, exhibitions or tutorials. Student workload usually includes 2 to 3 assessments per module.
A further 10 hours maximum studying and preparing assessments
- GCSE English Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Literacy
- GCSE Maths Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Numeracy
- A minimum of 48 UCAS points at A level which must include a grade C pass or above at A2 moving image arts/media related subject
- A BTEC foundation Diploma in Art and Design with a M profile
- BTEC/OCR Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design with a MP profile.
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
- IELTS 6.0 or equivalent (minimum of 5.5 in all skills)
- PTE 51 or approved equivalent test in English
Equivalent qualifications include:
- Grade C (or above) in GCSE English
- Successful completion of a Level 3 Vocational Programme with assessments completed in English Language
- Essential Skills in Literacy (Level 2)
- ESOL Level 2
Tier 4 Students:
- SERC will only accept a Secure English Language Test (SELT) for issuing a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
Successful completion of the admissions process
Provide evidence of ability to undertake the programme by meeting the requirements for the accreditation of prior experiential learning. Further details on APEL can be found in the admissions section
How will I be assessed and given feedback?
Where will it take me?
How will it make me more employable?
A materials list will be sent to students once accepted onto the course with specific requirements. This will include;
- A standard kit of art materials such as sketch books, paints, brushes, pencils, pens. Approx. £100
- A digital SLR camera. Approx. £150 upwards
- A portfolio case with sleeves A3 or above dependent on own practice. Approx. £40-£60
- A memory cards for both video and audio files approx. £25.
In addition, students will be expected to partake in gallery/museum/workshop visits. Students are asked to budget approx. £30 per visit for transport and food.
If you have just completed your A-Levels, Higher Education is most likely the option for you. HE usually covers HNC, HND & Foundation Degree level of courses including our Higher Level Apprenticeships.Explore Higher Education
Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art & Design
This course provides a progression route to Degree and HNC/HND courses in all areas of Art and Design.
Level 2 Technical Diploma in Art and Design
This course provides a great starting point for anyone wishing to develop their artistic skills and who are keen to progress to higher level art and design courses.
Leisure Upholstery & Soft Furnishings
This course is suitable for beginners and the more experienced. You will be instructed in a variety of techniques using hand and machine stitches and upholstery skills giving you the opportunity to create stylish home furnishings and upholstery.