Pearson BTEC HND in Engineering (Industrial Automation)
Everything we touch, use and see day-to-day has been manufactured in an industrial setting. With constant improvement in robotics and communication technology, manufacturing processes are becoming more integrated all the time. There will be new, exciting job roles in the next 5-10 years improving manufacturing processes in line with Industry 4.0 through digital transformation. This course will provide skills required, such as Mechatronics, Embedded Systems, Programmable Logic Controllers and Industrial Robots.
The Industrial Automation Engineering programme offers a blend of theoretical and practical units essential for the professional engineer in a modern engineering environment. It focuses on the use of control systems, such as computers or robots, and information technologies for handling different processes and machineries in industry.
On completion of this course you will be certified with a Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Engineering (General Engineering)
Modules studied in year 1 include:
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Maths
- Engineering Science
- Managing a Professional Project
- Industry 4.0
- Industrial Robots
- Workshop (Mechatronics)
Upon successful completion of year 1, students will progress on to year 2 of the programme where they will study further modules including:
- Research Project (double unit)
- Professional Engineering Management
- Further Mathematics
- Lean Manufacturing
- Embedded Systems
- Further PLCs
- Industrial Systems
- Workshop (Mechatronics)
In addition to the above modules, students will also work towards a Professional/ Personal Development qualification and will be involved in a range of activities, designed to improve employability within the Engineering sector.
This is a 2-Year Programme and course fees are payable in each year.
16.75 hours contact time to include practical classes, lectures, workshops, or tutorials.
Mandatory Additional Study
Maximum of 3 hours per week average over the academic year.
22 hours maximum studying and preparing assessments in your own time per week, including use of online materials
- GCSE English Language Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Literacy
- GCSE Mathematics Grade C (or Merit in the Engineering Principles unit on the Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma in Engineering (or University-approved equivalent)
- In addition to Maths and English, two additional GCSE’s at Grade C or above are required
A minimum of 64 UCAS points including:
- A levels OR
- Level 3 Diploma in Engineering
- Access to Higher Education Diploma with an overall average of 65+%
English Language Requirements for International students:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
- IELTS 6.0 (minimum of 5.5 in all skills)
- PTE 51 Or an approved equivalent test in English
Equivalent qualifications include:
- Grade C (or above) in GCSE English
- Successful completion of a Level 3 Vocational Programme with assessments completed in English Language
- Essential Skills in Literacy (Level 2)
- ESOL Level 2
Tier 4 Students:
- SERC will only accept a Secure English Language Test (SELT) for issuing a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- Successful completion of the Admissions Process APEL Provide evidence of ability to undertake the programme by meeting the requirements for the accreditation of prior experiential learning. Further details on APEL can be found in the Admissions Section
- Provide evidence of ability to undertake the programme by meeting the requirements for the accreditation of prior experiential learning. Further details on APEL can be found in the Admissions Section
For more information or help with this course send us an enquiry and a member of our team will get back in touch.
Sorry you cannot currently apply online for this course.
For more information or help with this course please complete an enquiry form.
You are viewing the 2023/24 version of this course, it is also available in the following years:View 2024/25 Course
If you have just completed your A-Levels, Higher Education is most likely the option for you. HE usually covers HNC, HND & Foundation Degree level of courses including our Higher Level Apprenticeships.Explore Higher Education
Stay connected to SERC: Your guide to upcoming college events!