Hiring an apprentice is a productive and effective way to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce.An apprentice can be a new or existing employee starting a new position and the process for employing an apprentice is like recruiting any other employee.
- An Apprentice is in paid employment from day one. National Minimum Wage rates for apprentices apply however this rate differs for Higher Level Apprenticeships - see National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates.
- An apprenticeship usually takes between two and four years to complete depending on the type of apprenticeship.
During this time you will share your industry expertise and knowledge by providing mentoring and "on the job" training. Your apprentice participate in "off the job" training (usually one day per week) to achieve the relevant industry qualifications and requirements which will be delivered by your chosen training contractor.
Types of apprenticeships
There are two apprenticeship programmes funded by the Department for the Economy (DfE):
- ApprenticeshipsNI - Level 2 and 3 - available to individuals 16 and over, eligibility restrictions apply to individuals aged 25 and over
- Higher Level Apprenticeships (HLAs) - Level 4 and Level 5 - available to individuals 18 and over. HLAs are not subject to age eligibility restrictions
Apprenticeships are available in a wide range of occupational areas to support your business needs.
Benefits of Apprenticeships
- Fully Funded Department for the Economy funded nationally recognised qualification for your staff.
- Tailored Delivery Work based training can be tailored to meet the needs of your business
- Quality Teaching Quality professional and technical training in College provided by expert lecturers with years of industry experience
- Improve your Business Our motivated and enthusiastic apprentices will work hard within your team – harness fresh new talent with individuals that you can train from day 1!
How do I find an Apprentice?
- Contact one of our Apprenticeship Development Managers directly by email or telephone
- Ask us for support at any time in the year – including help to advertise your apprenticeship vacancies!
- Register your interest to view our applicant pool and receive CV’s from students interested in your industry
- Explore our wide range of apprenticeships and browse our prospectuses to find a course that suits your business needs
- Talk to us about your business needs and discover other support that is available for businesses at SERC